The Palliative Care Society of Antigonish Town and County is a volunteer organization. It provides in-home supports, education, comfort and dignity to people who have advanced illnesses, their families and their caregivers. The Society provides education for the wider community and engages in advocacy to promote and improve palliative care.
Activities of the Society
- Purchase of equipment that will enhance quality of life for persons with life threatening illness at home.
- Hire community halls in the town and county to host palliative care education programs for families, caregivers and the general public.
- Hire knowledgeable presenters to provide palliative care education programs as identified by community.
- Hire bereavement counsellors to put on bereavement support programs where none exist.
- Fund training programs for volunteers in the community. This might include speakers, place and food.
- Pay for the printing of a newsletter, brochure, donation cards as well as postage.
- Fund the purchase of books and audio cassettes for the purpose of developing a public resource lending library.
- Provide support for continuing education for the palliative care, oncology staffs and volunteers.
The Mission Statement of our Society:
The Palliative Care Society of Antigonish Town & County is a volunteer organization. It provides in-home supports, education, comfort and dignity to people who have advanced illnesses, their families and their caregivers. The Society provides education for the wider community and engages in advocacy to promote and improve palliative care.
The provision of quality care for people with advanced illnesses in Antigonish Town and County.
Our dream is the construction of a Palliative Care Unit on site at St. Martha's Regional Hospital for the patients we serve, and we are working toward that goal.
The Volunteer Board is comprised of the following people:
John R. MacDougall Chairperson, Retired Teacher - Chairperson
Marie Nickerson Access Facilitator Community Services - Vice-Chair
Anne Marie Long, Treasurer, Retired Accountant - Treasurer
Joyce Van Berkel, SecretaryRetired Accountant, EMail
Charlene Porter District Manager Cancer & Supportive Care Email
Diane MacKinnon - Retired - Email
Sharon MacInnis - Homemaker - Email
Philip Cooper, Palliative Care Physician - EMail
Kaye Marie Chisholm - aRetired Oncology Nurse EMaila
Larry Starzomski - Retired Teacher EMail
Garry Fidler - Retired Teacher EMail